Diary of a hairy legged multisport racer

Wednesday 25 May 2011

Marlborough Sounds Portage Race 2011

Well, from early in the week this race was always looking sketchy. With gale force winds forecast for Cook Strait we knew that Picton would probably still be very windy at best. I was however unable to turn my back on 27km of kayaking through some extremely scenic water and 5km of carrying my boat over hills. This is definitely one of those races I love to hate. Each time I have finished my arms hang round my ankles and I say "never again" but time is a great healer and back I go.

So first thing Saturday morning I headed off with John Harris and Lynley Coventry (paddling a double), two of my teammates for Rollos 24hour this year optimistic that the race would run. Upon reaching Picton though we realised that the wind was already strong and was building. Race organiser Andrea Koorey made a logical decision to opt for plan B, a much more sheltered course. We would now start the race at Anakiwa and paddle to Mistletoe bay, complete a loop portage up Mistletoe hill and then back to Anakiwa for a short portage/ paddle to the finish.

So with us all relocated to Anakiwa the alternate race was started in very calm waters. Starting with a hiss and a roar I soon became aware that the vaseline I had on my hands (after the ritual pre race lube) was making my paddle very slippery and after a short 10mins on the wash of the front pack, I fell off the wash as to avoid falling off my ski! The hands gradually improved, and a quickly established a good rhythm about 90secs back from the front guys.

Testing out a different portage technique with a strap round my ski, I quickly realised it wasn't going to work and onto my shoulder went the ski. Ten minutes later following a quick up-down portage I had gained time on the bunch in front. What followed was a hard paddle back to Anakiwa against the outgoing tide. In hindsight a poor line left me too exposed to the tide losing valuable ground.

A short portage through Anakiwa left me 500m to paddle which was plenty to smash my already knackered arms. All in all the alternative course was a great option. We all had a tough paddle and could head home satisfied.

Results for us: John & Lynley came away with a win in the doubles after their younger less experienced opponents misplaced a paddle only to find it inside their boat!

I was 7th overall and 7mins off the pace in a quality field.


1 comment:

  1. Good Job Trev. looking forward to Rollo's write up..

    ReplyDelete