Diary of a hairy legged multisport racer

Sunday 1 May 2016

Alpine Lodge Loop the Lake 2016

After taking a few months of light duties for mental as opposed to physical recovery I've been feeling more motivated than ever. Keen not to repeat mistakes of old however I've made a conscious decision to get back into things gradually. When the opportunity to do a running race around Lake Rotoiti it was a chance to enjoy a running race for what it is. No concerns for what multisport race is ahead, how training will be affected, or can I go 100%. Just go out there, run hard and enjoy the day.

So with no specific race prep and a build up based on old memories I took to the start line with very open expectations. At the start people asked my predictions for the race. My answer: I see it being a race of two halves. I'll go out like I'm 100% fit and most likely wing the first half. The second half will expose large holes in my fitness leaving me at the mercy of the trail. The chances of a grovel over the final kilometers is high!

And what happened wasn't too far off. I started off in the lead group for 3-4km but with no speed training, 5 guys slipped off ahead on the first climb up the Mt Robert road. I didn't expect to see them again. To my surprise however the start of the trail saw plenty of good technical running, my favourite. Slowly but surely I found my stride in the rooty, rocky terrain and started reeling in the runners ahead. Half way to the Southern end I was in 2nd with 1st well out of sight. By the Travers river crossing I was on the heels of Chris Dunell but definitely not hot. With a bit of a spook he surged away and my response was limited.



My lack of training was opening up as predicted. Despite this I kept a decent pace for the next 30 minutes and kept within a minute of Chris who was running well. This would end with 2 K's remaining and I heard the fateful sound of breathing behind me. Dave Keenand and Andre Bonny ran past like I was standing still leaving me to grovel over the line in 4th.

Despite a less than ideal finish I was really happy with my run. Six months of light duties and the hunger to race has returned. Its a good sign.

https://www.facebook.com/14515752843/videos/10153566360047844/




No comments:

Post a Comment